[Advaita-l] Shankara Digvijaya Sara - part 15

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun May 3 04:03:49 EDT 2020

This is the last śloka in the 7th sarga which I forgot to post in the last
installment.  Owing to an emergency situation in my work which preoccupies me,
the next installment may not be till Monday or Tuesday.  Sorry about that.

94| ityūcivāṁsamimamiddhasukhaprakāśaṁ brahmopadiśya bahirantarapāstamoham |
tanvandayānidhirasau tarasā'bhramārgātśrīmaṇḍanasya nilayaṁ sa iyeṣa gantum ||120||

94. Then he [i.e. Kumārila] became silent and, radiant with joy, received the
Brahmopadeśa and gave up the outer and inner delusion at the hands of the
Ocean of Compassion [i.e.  Śaṅkara] who desired to immediately proceed to the
home of Maṇḍana by the aerial route.(120)

(Brahmopadeśa is the instruction into the mahāvākyas that I mentioned in the
commentary on śloka 54 in part 9.  The outer delusion is that the objects of
the world-appearance are real and different from ones own self.  The inner
delusion is that ones own self (i.e. ego) is real and different from the
supreme self.  So the upshot of all this is that Kumārila, though he may have
championed karma all his life, ended it as a saṁnyāsi.  Śaṅkarāchārya due to
his prowess in yoga had the siddhi of being able to fly.)