[Advaita-l] A question on a dialogue in the Madhaviya Shankara Vijaya

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 18 01:08:01 EDT 2020

 This is the scriptural injunction.

In the case of the Shankara Vijaya we have a similarity with the above.
Here, in the hypothetical case, the shishya would be a sannyasi, of the
highest aashrama, and the guru would be a householder, of a lower ashrama
relative to the sannyasin.

Here too, the sannyasi-shishya has to display just shraddhaa in the
teaching of the householder-guru.

In modern times too we see such situations:

Dear Subbuji,
 I have seen both the situations and observed closely.

How ever an house holder initiating a sanyasi is not advisable in the present day because a sanyasi can only initiate a sanyasi

where as a sanyasi can also initiate an house holder and this may be the thought of adishankara to invite mandana misra for a vadabhiksha, For timebeing shankara might have challanged mandana for that scenario and he may be confidant of win regarding madana's karma/tarka siddanta's.

That could be the reason for shankara's initiation to Mandana Misra.

I have close example a sanyasi initiated by a householder who utterly failed in his approaches.
Any sastra pramana/comments other than the shankaravijaya to initiate a sansyasi by house holder?

Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
kameswara