[Advaita-l] Fw: Cosmic Ego

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 20 00:09:34 EDT 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:13 PM Sudhakar Kabra via Advaita-l <

>    ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Sudhakar Kabra <
> sudhakarkabra at yahoo.com>
> To: H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>Sent: Tuesday, May 19,
> 2020, 10:11:25 PM GMT+5:30Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Cosmic Ego
>   Namaste Chandramouliji,
>
> Hiranyagarbha is the cosmic sukshma sharira (subtle body) which contains
> manas, buddhi, chitta and ahankara (ego)
>

> Indivdually ego is a product of ignorance (avidya) and is the main
> objection for self realization. If cosmic ego exists then what could be its
> function? Surely it cannot be a function of ignorance but can it be
> explained with some example to understand.

While the individual ego is avidya and an obstacle, the cosmic ego is also
in the realm of avidya but not binding. It does not have the limiting ideas
of 'this is he, different from me, etc.' Yet, the idea of 'I' in the
collective jiva corpus is there. This is not ridden with raga-dvesha. That
is why Shankara calls it 'svaccha' and the aspirant has to attain that
svacchatvam, he says. Transcending even this is required. The next step is
identifying with the Pure Self after which there is no more attaining.

This is how it appears to me.

regards
subbu