[Advaita-l] Relation between the object and its attributes

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 22:51:28 EDT 2020

Namaste Subbu ji and Venkat ji
Thank you for the relevant passages on tAdAtmya sambandha.

In conventional parlance, we have the blue lily, red cow etc., and there
the attributes and substantive are inseparable and are said to have
tAdAtmya;  so we say guNasya dravyAtmakatA. One thing implicit was that,
the focus was on relation - and while the relation or saMbandha was shown
to be devoid of any dravya or substance corresponding to it, that
automatically leads to guNa being dravyAtmaka. Is it not so?

The context for this as you wrote, in bhAShya, included a critique of the
ideas of samavAya, asamavAya and samyogaH which involve cause and effect
discussions.

Can we use word tAdAtmya apply to the idea of kArya and kAraNa (normally we
use the word ananyatvaM ) as in pot-shaped clay?

In other words, should we distinguish tAdAtmya from ananyatva and say -
Blue lily etc., (visheShana visheShya) are in tAdAtmya saMbandha; whereas
in the case of kArya-kAraNa (pot-shaped clay, ladle-shaped clay), there is
ananyatva.

Or

the two words in siddhAnta are conveying the same idea and therefore
interchangeable. (Because these two words are being advanced by siddhAnta
in lieu of samavAya etc., of nyAya)

Om

Raghav

On Thu, 21 May, 2020, 2:51 AM Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l, <