[Advaita-l] Relation between the object and its attributes

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 23:36:56 EDT 2020

Venkatraghavan and Subbiji - PraNAms
taadaatmyam - seem to mean identity -
Or does it mean just inseparable? Red flower -  Redness is different from flower-ness since flowers can be red or blue.
In the sense, Red is a property that needs a locus. Besides Redness, the flower has many other properties that are different from redness.
Another problem for me is to distinguish between swaabhaavika vs taadaatmya.
Take the example of brown sugar. Sugar can be white or brown but both have to be sweet.
There seems to be a difference in the attributes of brown and white vs sweetness.
Another aspect that I am also concerned about is Swarupa lakshnaam.
Sugar is sweet but the converse does not apply - as in sweet need not be sugar. It can be equal or Splenda, etc.
For an attribute to be swaruupa, it has to be necessary and sufficient qualification as in Consciousness is Brahman. Brahman is consciousness is a direct statement - Scripture defines using a converse statement as prajnaanam brahma, which implies it is necessary and sufficient - hence forms swaruupa (from my perspective). Shankara calls it swaruupa because of -anantatvaat.
For sugar, the swaruupa lakshana may be some C6H12O6 or something like that as in H2O is water and water is H2O.
In a sense, all qualities or attributes are not taadatmya sambandha.
I hope I am not confusing the issues here.
Hari Om!Sadananda