[Advaita-l] Shankara Digvijaya Sara - part 25

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri May 22 03:08:30 EDT 2020

Canto 13: The preaching of brahmavidyā

160| naiṣkarmyasiddhyākhyanibandhamekaṁ kṛtvā''tmapūjyāya nivedya cā'ptvā |
viśvāsamuktvā'tha punarbhāṣe sa viśvarūpo gurumātmadevam ||54||

160. Viśvarūpa dedicated the treatise called Naiṣkarmyasiddhi to the one he
worshipped [i.e. Śaṅkara]. Having gained his confidence, he again said to the
guru, his own God...(54)

161| na khyātihetorna ca lābhahetoḥ nāpyarcanāyai vihitaḥ prabandhaḥ |
nollaṅghanīyaṁ vacanaṁ gurūṇāṁ nollaṅghane syādguruśiṣyabhāvaḥ ||55||

161. “This work was not written for fame or profit or to be praised by others.
The words of the guru should not be ignored.  Only when the words of the guru
are heeded is there the spirit of guru-śiṣya relationship.”(55)

(The background behind these two ślokas is that the other disciples had doubts
of the sincerity of Sureśvarācāryas conversion.  After all, as Maṇḍana Miśra,
he was the foremost living Pūrva Mimāṁsaka and moreover had written an
independant work on Vedānta work called Brahmasiddhi.  They suspected that he
was just trying to infiltrate them in order to spread his own ideas.  With the
Naiṣkarmyasiddhi he seeks to reassure Śaṅkarācārya that he understands and
will accurately teach Advaita Vedānta.)

162| bhāvanukārimṛduvākyaniveśitārthaṁ svīyaiḥ padaiḥ saha nirākṛyapūrvapakṣam |
siddhāntayuktiviniveśitatatsvarūpaṁ dṛṣṭā'bhinandya paritoṣavaśādavocat ||64||

162. Seeing that it [i.e. the Naiṣkarmyasiddhi] explained topics accurately
and in simple words with the objections and conclusions stated objectively
along with the authors own opinions, he [i.e. Śaṅkara] congratulated him [i.e.
Sureśvara] and said with delight...(64)

163| satyaṁ yadāttha vinayinmama yājuṣī yā śākhā tadantagatabhāṣyanibandha iṣṭaḥ |
tadvārtikaṁ mama kṛte bhavatā praṇeyaṁ saccoṣṭitaṁ parahitaikaphalaṁ prasiddham ||65||

163. “Disciplined one, what you have said is true. Now I wish that you write
an annotation on the commentary on [the upaniṣad of] my śākhā of the Yajurveda
that I have written.  The Great work with the welfare of others as their only
goal.”(65)

(Śaṅkarācārya belonged to the Taittereya śakhā of the Kṛṣṇayajurveda so it is
the Taittereyopaniṣadbhāṣya which is being referred to.)

164| tadvattvadīyā khalu kāṇvaśākhā mamāpi tatrāsti tadantabhāṣyam |
tadvārtikaṁ cāpi vidheyamiṣṭaṁ paropakārāya satāṁ pravṛttiḥ ||66||

164. “Similarly I have I written a commentary on [the upaniṣad of] the Kaṇva
śākhā.  I wish that you write an annotation on that too. The activities of the
good are done for the benefit of others.”(66)

(The Bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad is part of the śuklayajurveda.  This veda has two
śakhās, Madhyāndina and Kaṇva. Śaṅkarācārya wrote on the Kaṇva version of the
Bṛhadāraṇyakopaniṣad.

vārtika which I have translated as annotation is a type of sub-commentary
which what has three purposes: to explain the ukta or what has been said, fill
in the anukta or what has been omitted, and repair the durukta or what has
been said unclearly or incorrectly.  After comissioning the creation of
vārtikas, Śaṅkarācārya seeks to reassure that he will not be offended by such
critique because he has written to help others not to inflate his own ego.)

165| itthaṁ sa ukto bhagavatpadena śrīviśvarūpo viduṣāṁ variṣṭhaḥ |
cakāra bhāṣyadvayavārtike dve hyājñā gurūṇāṁ hyavicāraṇīyā ||68||

165. Having heard these words of Bhagavatpada [i.e. Śaṅkara] Śrī Viśvarūpa,
who is celebrated by the learned, wrote the two annotations on the two
commentaries obeying the gurus’ command without hesitation.(68)

166| sanandano nāma guroranujñayā bhāṣyasya ṭīkāṁ vyadhiteritaḥ parām |
yatpūrvabhāgaḥ kila pañcapādikā taccheṣagā vṛttiriti prathīyasī ||70||

166. The one called Sanandana [i.e. Padmapada] also, by the gurus command,
wrote a gloss on the [Brahmasūtra] commentary.  The first part is called
Pañcapādikā and the rest is known as Vṛtti.(70)

(Pañcapādikā means covering 5 padas.  The Brahmasūtra has 4 adhyāyas each with
4 padas for a total of 16.  So why does this work only cover 5?  The story is
that Padmapadācārya was returning to his homeland in South India for a yātrā.
He left his belongings including the manuscript of the Pañcapādikā at the home
of his maternal uncle while he travelled.  But the uncle was a staunch Pūrva
Mimāṁsaka and, on discovering that it was a Vedānta work, had the manuscript
burned.  Luckily, Śaṅkarācārya had the first 5 padas memorized so that much
was able to be saved.  Actually what we have today doesn't even cover that
much only the first four sūtras.  The Pañcapādikā is structured into two
parts, the main text and an auto-commentary on that called the Vṛtti.)