[Advaita-l] Mandukya UP - Praviviktabhuk definition

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 02:37:23 EDT 2020

Namaste Praveen ji,
Agreed.

The TIkA pretty much says the same thing.

ननु विश्वतैजसयोरविशिष्टं प्रविविक्तभुगिति विशेषणम् । प्रज्ञाया भोज्यत्वस्य
तुल्यत्वात् । मैवम् । तस्या भोज्यत्वाविशेषेऽपि तस्यामवान्तरभेदात्
सविषयत्वाद्विश्वस्य भोज्या प्रज्ञा स्थूला लक्ष्यते । तैजसे तु प्रज्ञा
विषयसंस्पर्शशून्या वासनामात्ररूपेति विविक्तो भोगः सिध्यतीत्याह –
विश्वस्येति ।

When we say that the objects of vishva's experiences are gross, it is not
physical things that are its (vishva's) objects of experience, but
cognitions in association with those things.
In that sense, those cognitions are termed gross.

Whereas in the case of taijasa too, while
it is cognitions again that are its (taijasa's) object, but here, as those
cognitions have no association with physical things, and are of the nature
of latent impressions, the objects of taijasA's experience are subtle (ie
they are cognitions alone, not cognitions in association with things), and
different from the previous case. The objects of experience are different.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan