[Advaita-l] Sri Nochur Swami - Be - A profound message in Tamil, just 3 minutes

Ven Balakrishnan ventzu at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 15:22:06 EDT 2021

He is recounting an episode where presumably an advanced person approached Ramanamaharishi for advice.  I guess it needs to be considered in the context of his full lecture.

As an aside . . . Since self-knowledge / liberation is the highest goal of existence, and Brhad Up says that a Brahmana in the primary sense is one who has this self-knowledge and has inevitably renounced (because self-knowledge destroys all desires and factors of action) . . . the implication of the Yajnavalkya - Maitreyi dialogue is that Y. Is not a jnani, and hence his intention to renounce, having fully understood the import of sruti.  Sankara, Gaudapada and Suresvara do not make a distinction between a jnani and a jivanmukta.  That seems to have arisen with Vidyaranya’s Jivanmukta-viveka.