[Advaita-l] New member introduction

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Apr 27 01:56:22 EDT 2021

Anthony Billings
----------------

Greetings: My interest in Advaita Vedanta as taught by Shankaracharya and
the philosophical schools he initiated can be understood on two levels: that
of practitioner and as scholar. I was practicing Theravada Buddhism and then
a friend suggested that I read "I AM THAT" by Nisargadatta Maharaj. That was
a turning point in my life because meditation became much more meaningful
and coherent with the conceptualization of Brahman and Atman. I have several
degrees, including a Masters in Asian Philosophy and Religion, and currently
take classes from the Oxford Center for Hindu Studies. I am a retired
English teacher and live mostly in Thailand. I have studied Pali and will
begin taking Sanskrit after mastering Thai. As a scholar, I am studying the
connection between Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta in such works as "The
Advaita Tradition in Indian Philosophy" by Chandradhar Sharma, among many
others. I adhere to traditional Advaita Vedanta and view Shankaracharya's
work and realization as a monumental achievement in human history. Thank
you. Anthony Billings