[Advaita-l] Omniscient Lord and free will.

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 04:21:29 EDT 2021

Namaste,

To clarify, what is being said is that sarvajnatva merely refers to Ishvara
being a witness. He does not determine every outcome, which would mean that
there is no such thing as free will.

But saying that in itself, does not preclude Ishvara protecting / blessing
devotees who have performed their karma-s / worshipped him with sincerity.
That blessing / protection is not simply a matter of Ishvara's whim.

It is a result of the devotees' karma / upAsana/ bhakti, all of which have
been undertaken by the exercise of their free will -  and is a blessing
that Ishvara bestows, in his role as the karma phaladAtA.

I believe this was alluded to by Raghav ji in his earlier email in this
thread.

Re, jyotiSha, it is not simply a shastra that says this is what is foretold
- you have no choice but to accept it.

Rather, the purpose of jyotiSha is to reveal what is likely to happen as a
result of the fructification of past karma-s. Because these are the results
of past karma-s, the exercise of free will to perform karma-s in the
present, can mitigate the results of karma-s in the past.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan