[Advaita-l] On Ramana

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Jun 24 03:38:11 EDT 2021

On Thu, 24 Jun 2021, Bhaskar YR wrote:
>>   In my humble opinion, it is very bold and open opinion might as
>>   against the opinion of some traditionalists who have the firm
>>   conviction that bhagavAn's teachings are indeed in line with
>>   traditional Advaita teaching!!.  Kindly elaborate you above statement
>>   if possible prabhuji.

No it is merely the observation that he did not organize his views in a
systematic way with tikas, prakaranas etc. with all the attendant
paraphernalia such as purvapaksha, siddhanta nyayas etc.

>  Are you of the opinion that his teachings are
>>   traditionally not valid one and not good for shravaNAdi advaitic
>>   sAdhana and he is mere brahmanishTa and NOT shrOtreeya and hence his
>>   teachings are NOT based on shAstra??

I think it goes without saying that he was not shrotriya though as I also
said, he was immersed in an environment which was more shastra-based than
most of us can manage now.  As a result his teachings may be based on an
incomplete understanding of shastras.

>  Like rAmakrishna paramahaMsa he
>>   can be an inspirational figure but not a traditional teacher ??

He can be a teacher but if I were to be asked I would recommend
supplementing with other more solid sources.