[Advaita-l] 📝"Concept of GOD in Hinduism", My Short Notes on the 2021 ShivaRatri Talk by Swami Paramarthananda
mahadevan.n.iyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 01:33:25 EST 2021
*Concept of GOD in Hinduism: 2021 Shivaratri Talk*
📝 note: These are not the transcripts of the discourse. These are my
personal short notes of the " 2021 Shivaratri Talk by Swami
🔴 topic: Concept of GOD in Hinduism.
- सदाशिव समारम्भाम् शंकराचार्य मध्यमाम्
- अस्मद् आचार्य पर्यन्ताम् वंदे गुरु परम्पराम्
- To understand Hindu religion, Hindu spirituality & Hindu culture one
needs to understand the "CONCEPT OF GOD" in Hinduism based on Vedic
- There are several examples given in scriptures to teach the concept of
- " The Spider " example is a significant example.
- 🕷 The Spider Example
- A spider is called "ūrṇanābhi" in Sanskrit. 🕷
- ūrṇa = thread, nābhi = abdomen
- 📚 Reference : Mundaka Upanishad, Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (
2-1-20 ) , Bhagavatam, Uddhava Gita etc
- A spider sits on the ceiling of a room.
- When disturbed, it draws silk from its body and descends from
- Afterwards, when that disturbance is gone, it withdraws
(swallows) the silk back into its abdomen & ascends back into
of the room.
- Raw materials for the production of the silk is contained within
the spider's stomach itself.
- The spider uses its part of the body itself to create the web. 🕸
- Bhagavan is like a spider in certain respects.
- Spider is a conscious entity.✔
- Bhagavan is also a conscious entity.✔
- Spider has got a body that contains the raw material for producing
the thread & later it can withdraw the thread back into itself.✔
- Bhagavan also has got a body that contains the raw material for
producing the entire cosmos ( matter, energy, time & space ) & can later
withdraw it back.✔
- Body of Bhagavan = Maya. 🔔
- We can know the exact location of the spider before the creation
of the thread ( ceiling ).❕
- We CANNOT know the location of Bhagavan before the creation.❕
- Reason: Time & Space concept was resolved before the creation of
space, time matter & energy.
- Hence, questions like... Where is Bhagavan? What is the form of
Bhagavan? Where is Bhagavan located? etc cannot be raised.
- Because then Bhagavan becomes finite requiring a specific
location in space & time.
- Transcendental Bhagavan exists even before the arrival of time &
- Spider produces the thread again & again & withdraws it back
again & again.✔
- God produces the creation not one time, but again & again &
resolves it back again & again.✔
- Maya -> Prapancha🌌
- Prapancha -> Maya 💥
- NO FIRST CREATION, NO LAST CREATION. ♻
- Law of conservation of matter & energy-matter is neither created
nor destroyed but conserved.♻
- Hard to comprehend due to one's intellectual orientation.
- Matter, Energy, Time & Space is an extension of Maya itself. *🕉*
-> [✨ , ⚡ ,⌚,🧭 ]
- Maya is eternal. 🔔
- Bhagavan is sacred, Maya is the body of Bhagavan, Hence Maya is
- The Universe is also Bhagavan's body, it is also Bhagavan.
- Maya is sacred, Entire universe is the manifest ( visible ) part of
Maya, Hence the UNIVERSE IS SACRED.
- We think Bhagavan is sacred. The World is secular.
- We should change our attitude towards the universe.
- The secular sacred division is born out of ignorance of the spider
- Nothing is secular in Hinduism, everything is sacred.🔔
- Formless Bhagavan is limitless, Multi formed Bhagavan is also
- Time & space are not outside Bhagavan TO LIMIT Bhagavan.🔔
- Time & space are included in the body of Bhagavan.
- before creation, time & space was potential in the Maya body of
Bhagavan. ( Aroopa Īśvara )
- after creation, time & space are actively in the body of Bhagavan.
( Anekaroopa Īśvara )
- Bhagavan alone IS. Everything is included in Bhagavan.🔔
- Bhagavan is the cosmic conscious being.🥚
- We are like microorganism contributing to the health of Bhagavan's
- We alone through our karma, determine the future.
- The next creation is also dependent on our karma only.
- How did the first karma came? ❓
- "The First" idea must be abolished.
- Karma - Shrishti - Karma - Shristi...... etc continues.
- The Divinisation of the world is the religious evolution that
our scriptures talk about.🔔
- Change your attitude towards the universe.
- 🎱 Ashtamurti Īśvara is a corollary for Spider Example ( 8 limbs ).
- 📚 Refer: Kalidasa's Abhijnana Shakuntalam ( invocation phrase )
- *1️⃣*Primary Bhagavan: Formless-Multi formed God.
- *1️⃣*Primary Knowledge: The World is part of Maya, Maya is
Bhagavan's body, Therefore the Universe is Bhagavan's body.
- *1️⃣*Primary Bhakthi : Changed attitude due to Primary Knowledge
regarding Primary Bhagavan. ( Jnana Bhakti )
- Scriptures prescribe various meditation. eg: Akasha dyanam, Vayu
dhyanam, Lightning meditation etc...
- Vibhoothi darshanam : Everything in the creation has glory. I see
them as the glory of Bhagavan.
- This Bhavana parivarthanam ( Transformation of bhavana ) is Jnana
- Today, instead of Janana Bhakthi, Prema Bhakthi is promoted.
- *2️⃣* Prema Bhakthi is secondary Bhakthi.
- *2️⃣* A personified GOD is given over important.
- *2️⃣* Prema Bhakthi is valid for only a short while.
- *1️⃣ *Jnana Bhakthi is based on Vedic study.
- *2️⃣ *Prema Bhakthi should never overshadow Jnana Bhakthi.
- A finite form symbolically is OK, but making Bhagavan himself, a
finite being with a beautiful body & a beautiful feeling is an act of
creating a degraded impression of Bhagavan as a finite person.
- Prayer should not be "Artha Bhakthi" or "Artharthi Bhakthi", not
for solving problem; for that, we don't pray, we use resources
- Prayer should be "Jijnasu Bhakthi".
- Jijnasu Bhakthi : Give me the knowledge of you. Let me get a Guru,
Let me study the scriptures, by which I come to know Bhagavan, who is
- Prema Bhakthi should not become an obstacle for Jnana Bhakthi.
- Is there a Bhagavan?❓
- There is nothing other than Bhagavan.
- Bhakti : awareness of harmony of totality.🔔
- Bhaktha is one who has Bhakthi.
- When I am a Bhaktha, my life will be in harmony with the total. It
is called Dharma.🔔
- Jnanam will lead to Bhakthi. Bhakthi leads to Dharma.
- Adharma : Disturbing the harmony with the total.🔔
- In Shiva rathri, Before chanting Rudra, Dhyana sloka is chanted.
- Dhyana sloka : Presentation of Shiva in 3 versions.
- 1st Shiva as a symbol. ( Finite, for pooja , abhishekam etc )
- 2nd Shiva as vishvaroopa Īśvara.
- 3rd Shiva included as the Consciousness principle.
- śuddhasphaṭika saṅkāśaṃ trinētraṃ pañcha vaktrakaṃ ।
- gaṅgādharaṃ daśabhujaṃ sarvābharaṇa bhūṣitam ॥🎶
- nīlagrīvaṃ śaśāṅkāṅkaṃ nāga yajñōpa vītinam ।
- vyāghra charmōttarīyaṃ cha varēṇyamabhaya pradam ॥🎶
- kamaṇḍal-vakṣa sūtrāṇāṃ dhāriṇaṃ śūlapāṇinaṃ ।
- jvalantaṃ piṅgaḻajaṭā śikhā muddyōta dhāriṇam ॥🎶
- vṛṣa skandha samārūḍhaṃ umā dēhārtha dhāriṇaṃ ।
- amṛtēnāplutaṃ śāntaṃ divyabhōga samanvitam ॥🎶
- digdēvatā samāyuktaṃ surāsura namaskṛtaṃ ।
- nityaṃ cha śāśvataṃ śuddhaṃ dhruva-makṣara-mavyayam ।
- sarva vyāpina-mīśānaṃ rudraṃ vai viśvarūpiṇaṃ ।
- ēvaṃ dhyātvā dvijaḥ samyak tatō yajanamārabhēt ॥🎶
- Bhagavan is being symbolised as pure, beautiful & bright like crystal.
- 3 eyes ( 3rd eye: Attitude based on Jnanam ), 5 headed ( Pacha
- Carrying Ganga ( Flow of knowledge ), 10 hands, this is symbolism,
All ornaments etc
- Consciousnesses one part, Maya is the other part of Bhagavan.
- Amrutham : Knowledge that gives immortality.🔔
- Shiva includes the Consciousness principle also.
- Maya -> Universe, Universe -> Maya.
- Consciousness principle is not part, product or property of Maya (
Matter or Energy ).🔔
- Consciousness is an independent spiritual principle, which is eternal
& all-pervading, which manifests in the matter when the matter has got a
- When the body is in a conducive condition, consciousness manifests in
the body as a life principle.
- When the body is dead, Consciousness is not able to manifest in the
matter. But Consciousness is eternal & all-pervading.
- Sarvatmaka Īśvara : Chetana-Achetanatmaka sarvarthmaka Īśvara.
- Namah Shivaya: I surrender to Shiva.🔔
- Nothing other than Shiva. I am also included in that Shiva.
- Prema Bhakthi : Emotional Bhakthi
- Jnana Bhakthi : Intelectual Bhakthi (Knowing the Universe as Bhagavan
) ( superior )
- Emotional Bhakthi should be transformed into intellectual Bhakthi.
- In this Shivaratri, let's worship Lord Shiva to remove our ignorance &
give the knowledge that Bhagavan is not a finite person, Bhagavan is
everything including me.
- --- Poornam --- 🏁
More information about the Advaita-l mailing list