[Advaita-l] Role of Grihasta guru in Shankara matha sambradayam.

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Mar 19 02:53:47 EDT 2021

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021, Aravind M via Advaita-l wrote:

> Hi all,
> 1.Can a grihasta who has acquired a certain amount of sadhana chatustayam
> be an acharya and guide disciples in the path of advaitha..

Even a sannyasi guru who has attained brahmanishtaa himself cannot "give"
moksha.  It has to be realized by oneself.  But the sannyasi atleast has
experience and the grhastha does not.  Nevertheless insofar as Advaita
Vedanta is also a collection of facts, a grhastha can definitely teach that.

> 2.should a spiritual guru definitely be a jeevan muktha??

The practical problem is how can you tell?  There is no specific test or
certificate that can definitely prove jivanmukti.  We can look at a
persons conduct though and if they exhibit the characteristics oa a
jivanmukta it is a reasonable conclusion to assume they are.  This was
brought out in the article "The Jagadguru's spiritual guidance to a
Frenchman" that was posted the other day.  The Jagadgurus don't literally
tell the whole world what to do but they demonstrate an example the whole
world can learn from.