[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 12:22:25 EDT 2021

Namaste Venkatraghavan ji

The actual experience of smell is felt right where the indriya golaka is
viz.,., the nose. We don't experience the fragrance as coming from the
actual source. (Even in a case where lets say fragrance is unidirectionally
spreading from a point, I cannot know the source direction.)

In contrast, in the case of shabda and rupa experiences, they are not
experienced at the point where the light is actually sensed viz., inside
the eye. It is only an anuvAda of this empirical fact experienced by us of
light and sound felt as originating somewhere outside of us, that siddhanta
has to account for by talking of extension of mind to some putative
external point - and this creates problems like the mind going to envelop
non-existent objects etc.

 We need to give some reason why, if in rUpa case too, as is being
suggested, light contacts the physical golaka to mediate arising of
manovRtti just like in the case of gandha, why does mind's
projection/extension process happen only in  for rUpa and shabda?

This may not be a big logical hurdle, but for completeness, some
explanation is required. (Esp. since the siddhanta VP explanation to
account for this very distant experience of sound/light if taken literally
, runs foul in the case of observations of stars etc.)

Om

Raghav

On Tue, 11 May, 2021, 8:03 pm Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l, <