[Advaita-l] Shabda and Dhvani

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat May 22 03:21:49 EDT 2021

Namaste Sudhanshu Ji,

Since there has been no other response, I am responding.

You have admitted travel to dhvani from its origin to
shrotra-indriya-golaka based on the Bhashya 1-3-28. I am copying the
immediately succeeding part from the same Bhashya.

<< प्रत्यासीदतश्च पटुमृदुत्वादिभेदं वर्णेष्वासञ्जयति ; >>

<< pratyAsIdatashcha paTumRRidutvAdibhedaM varNeShvAsa~njayati ; >>

Translation  << but invests  the letters with such differences as high or
low pitch etc in his ears as he approaches nearer >>.

In other words, dhvani becomes shabda as its origin moves closer to the
ears. Notice still the cognition is at the shrotra-indriya-golaka only as
earlier with dhvani (as defined by you).

Does this not constitute Bhashya PramANa for travel of shabda (as defined
by you) from its origin?

Regards
Chandramouli

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 8:05 PM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <