[Advaita-l] Fwd: Fwd: [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 12:37:26 EDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Raghav Kumar Dwivedula <raghavkumar00 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct, 2021, 10:06 pm
Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Fwd: [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the
Brihadaranyaka Upanishad
To: Satyan Chidambaran <satyan_c at yahoo.com>

Namaste Satyan ji
Thank you for your post. And happy to see you are on advaita-l as well!

The ineffective vRtti which arises initially upon shravaNam but is unable
to destroy avidyA -  it would have to be given some qualification such as
sapratibandhaka Gyaanam or paroxa-GYAnam - some moniker short of calling it
GYAna-vRtti. Otherwise the
*"चरम एव जन्मनि ज्ञानम् ( ज्ञानवृत्ति:) जायेत"  (the Gyaanam arises *only*
in the last birth)*
 would not be reasonable. (word in bracket is mine).

It may be more of a semantic difference but the idea is - the
pratibandhakas we talk of are w.r.t. GYAnam arising or w.r.t. GYAna phalam
being produced - that makes a difference. In case of the Rishi Apaantara
Tamas, from what I read he was already a GYAnI but had multiple janma
prArabdha. In contrast,  there could be other cases  like Vamadeva where as
Sri Nischala Dasa says "*चरम एव जन्मनि ज्ञानम् जायेत". *

The two cases seem slightly different?
Raghav

P S.
A small aside...Regarding the example given by Pujya Swami Dayanandaji
about the delayed understanding of a joke as an example of how shravaNam
may generate the GYAna vRtti after a delay, I was reminded of the
"extended" anecdote told by him.

I recollect Swami Dayanandaji saying something like this-

"One joke can generate *many* laughs. I related a joke in the class and
some students laughed because they got it. One mAmA did not get it
immediately but some days later he came and met me. The maamaa said that
although he did not get the joke when I related it in the class, after he
went home, he was having a relaxing shower ... and suddenly the joke dawned
on him and he laughed heartily. Then the maamaa explained how he figured
out the joke. Listening to his explanation of the joke, I laughed...because
he *still* had not got it...!!!"