[Advaita-l] Fwd: Fwd: [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 07:24:27 EDT 2021

Namaste Raghav ji,

Exactly - we are talking of pratibandha-s in the rise of jnAna versus
pratibandha-s in the acceptance that the jnAna that has risen is valid.

If there is a time delay between shravaNam and the knowledge that "I am
free", it can be because of pratibandha in the rise of AtmasAkshAtkAra or
pratibandha in accepting that AtmasAkshAtkAra has risen and nothing further
remains to be done.

I remember Swami Paramarthananda ji used to say when talking of the
Bharcchu story - two things are needed for moksha 1) aproksha AtmajnAna and
2) the jnAna that aparoksha Atma jnAna is sufficient.

Now the question is if both pratibandha and samskAra are needed to explain
the delay or whether pratibandha alone is sufficient.

I suggest that both are needed, because even where the pratibandha has
ended, there needs to be something to trigger AtmasAkshAtkAra jnAna, as
opposed to say, ghaTajnAna. That trigger is the samskAra of shravaNam done
before.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Sat, 30 Oct 2021, 17:37 Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l, <