[Advaita-l] Avachheda Vaada

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Sep 3 21:48:08 EDT 2021

On Thu, 2 Sep 2021, smallpress via Advaita-l wrote:

> Please help me get some clarity about this particular view of the
> ChitChhaya aikyam with Buddhi.

> I am trying to search through the archives for discussions on the subject but I forgot how to perform that search.
> I would appreciate if someone could point me to links and also instruction on the search.
> Thank you for you kindness.
> Soma

Actually, I don't remember us having discussed this topic.  I will be the
first to admit the search faciity in our site is not very good.  One of
these days I will get around to improving it.  In the mean time, I
recommend searching google but adding site:lists.advaita-vedanta.org to
the search term.

Google is infinite (or seems so!) sites:lists.advaita-vedanta.org is the
avachhedaka so when you do a search which includes it you only get the
finite part of Google pertaining to lists.advaita-vedanta.org.

In the same way, Brahman is all-pervading but due to maya as the limitor,
our perception is distorted and it appears to be something finite.  When
maya is dispelled through jnana we are able to apprehend Brahman in
fullness.

The more classic example is the sky and pot.  The sky extends indefinitely
in all directions but if you look into the mouth of a pot, the sky within
appears to have definite dimensions.  The pot is the avacchedaka.  When
you look outside of the pot you perceive the sky in all its glory again.

This view is particularly developed by the Bhamatikara (though based on
prasthana trayi of course.)  Not all Advaitins have agreed with it.