[Advaita-l] On vAnara, garuDa etc

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Apr 12 18:08:46 EDT 2022

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022, Shrinivas Gadkari via Advaita-l wrote:

> vAnara vidyA, garuDa vidyA were ancient advanced upAsanA-s that incorporated
> some key animal/ bird characteristics into their yoga practices.

Garudavidya is the tantric vidya concerning mantras for controlling
snakes, curing snakebites etc.  It is well known.  (For instance Narada in
his conversation with Sanatkumara in Chandogyopanishad 7.1.2 claims
sarpavidya - a synonym - as one of the vidyas he knows.)  But I have never
heard of a Vanaravidya.  Do you have any reference?

> The humans specializing in vAnara vidyA are referred to as vAnara-s.
> This community was especially inhabiting south India during the time of shrI rAma.

Hanumana for instance is described as having a tail.  (See shloka 77.)  I
have not travelled much in that area but I am pretty sure South Indians do
not have tails! :-)

> Similarly garuDa-s are associated with garuDa vidyA.

Garudavidyopasakas are definitely humans.  They do not imitate birds.  It
is called Garudavidya because Garuda is the traditional enemy of
snakekind that's all.