[Advaita-l] Fw: On vAnara, garuDa etc

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 01:58:42 EDT 2022

Namaste Shri Jaldhar,

I have read about references to vAnara vidyA in informal articles.
If I am able to locate a reference that can be cited, I will post it in this list.

What I have read is - as a apart of vAnara vidyA training, the students were
given artificial tails. As students progressed in their yoga training they would
be able to animate and use this tail with their activated prAna shakti.

Practicing very long jumps, lifting and throwing big rocks was also part of
vAnara vidyA training.

If we accept that with sufficient yoga training one can develop superhuman
capabilities, all that I have written here does seem plausible.

Regards,
Shrinivas Gadkari

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 03:38:48 AM GMT+5:30, <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

> vAnara vidyA, garuDa vidyA were ancient advanced upAsanA-s that incorporated
> some key animal/ bird characteristics into their yoga practices.

Garudavidya is the tantric vidya concerning mantras for controlling
snakes, curing snakebites etc.  It is well known.  (For instance Narada in
his conversation with Sanatkumara in Chandogyopanishad 7.1.2 claims
sarpavidya - a synonym - as one of the vidyas he knows.)  But I have never
heard of a Vanaravidya.  Do you have any reference?

> The humans specializing in vAnara vidyA are referred to as vAnara-s.
> This community was especially inhabiting south India during the time of shrI rAma.

Hanumana for instance is described as having a tail.  (See shloka 77.)  I
have not travelled much in that area but I am pretty sure South Indians do
not have tails! :-)

> Similarly garuDa-s are associated with garuDa vidyA.

Garudavidyopasakas are definitely humans.  They do not imitate birds.  It
is called Garudavidya because Garuda is the traditional enemy of
snakekind that's all.

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com