[Advaita-l] Parmana

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:58:51 EDT 2022

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 10:36 PM Anand N <anand.natampalli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Namaste Subbuji,
>
> To gain more clarity, I have a follow up question:
> So, if I see a tree, then it is Pratyaksha but Paroksha, since I am using
> my eyes?

Alright, it is through pratyaksha pramana the tree is known. Even when the
eye is used, it is aparoksha alone. If I see fire with my eyes in a
mountain, it is pratyaksha. But if I infer fire there from the smoke that I
see there, then the fire-knowledge I gain, though valid, is paroksha. It is
called anumiti-jnanam. Akasha is said to be a-pratyaksha since it is not
indriyagochara. Atman too is a-pratyaksha for the same reason. But it is
aparoksha for all of us since it is immediate; not mediated by any other
agent.  Emotions that arise in one's mind are saakshi-pratyaksha. Our
avidya is also aparoksha to us and hence alone the antidote for it is
aparoksha jnana.

I think the above is in tune with the Vedanta paribhasha.

warm regards
subbu