[Advaita-l] Binary nature of Jnana

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 05:04:38 EDT 2022

Namaste Bhaskar ji,

Such AdhikArika jIva-s have complete tattvajnAna. As the bhAShyakAra
categorically states in the yAvadadhikAra adhikaraNam -

एवम् अपान्तरतमःप्रभृतयोऽपीश्वराः परमेश्वरेण तेषु तेष्वधिकारेषु नियुक्ताः
सन्तः सत्यपि सम्यग्दर्शने कैवल्यहेतौ अक्षीणकर्माणो यावदधिकारमवतिष्ठन्ते,
तदवसाने च अपवृज्यन्त इत्यविरुद्धम् ।

As he says, सत्यपि सम्यग्दर्शने कैवल्यहेतौ - despite possessing the
tattvajnAna which is the cause of kaivalya moksha, they continue to engage
in vyavahAra for lokakshema until their prArabdha lasts and once that
prArabdha ends they get videhamukti (यावदधिकारमवतिष्ठन्ते, तदवसाने च
अपवृज्यन्ते).

To illustrate this, Shankaracharya gives two examples - the savitA devatA
and the jIvanmukta.

1) यथासौ भगवान्सविता सहस्रयुगपर्यन्तं जगतोऽधिकारं चरित्वा तदवसाने
उदयास्तमयवर्जितं कैवल्यमनुभवति

2) यथा च वर्तमाना ब्रह्मविदः आरब्धभोगक्षये कैवल्यमनुभवन्ति

He says - just like bhagavAn savitA presides over the earth for a 1,000
yugas and at the end of which, he gives up his body (which rises and sets)
and has videhamukti ; and like the brahmavit-s of our time attain
videhamukti at the end of prArabdha  - the AdhikArika jIva-s like
apAntaratama etc attain videhamukti at the end of their prArabdha.

The jIvamukta continues to engage in vyavahAra for lokakshema until his
prArabdha lasts. The difference between him and the AdhikArika jIva is
that, for the former, his prArabdha lasts until the fall of one body. For
the AdhikArika jIva-s, their prArabdha lasts for a few births.

Now, we don't admit that there is any bheda between and within
jIva-jagat-Ishvara for the jIvanmukta, so why should there be such bheda
for the AdhikArika jIva?

vyavahAra and paramArtha are not avasthA-s, states. paramArtha is right
here, right now present - in the middle of all the vyavahAra. The
jIvanmukta despite being the paramArtha, seemingly engages in vyavahAra. So
does the AdhikArika jIva.

Kind regards,
Venkatraghavan