[Advaita-l] Binary nature of Jnana

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 02:34:41 EDT 2022

Namaste Subbu Ji,

Reg  <<  Even in the event of the pratibandha nivritti happening due to the
experiencing of the garbhavasa bhoga, a vritti, akhandakara vritti, is
required to enable him to declare 'aham manurabhavam sUryashcha..'  This is
reasonable since, had that vritti arisen in the earlier birth, prior to
this garbhavasa, there would not have been this garbhavasa; the earlier
birth would have been the last one  >>,

Very recently we had discussed this issue here

<<
https://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2021-October/057721.html

For whatever it is worth, since the issue has cropped up again and you are
looking for opinions, I am reposting my understanding on this specific
topic.

My understanding.

The pratibandha in the case of Sage Vamadeva is concerning rebirth, not
rise of jnAna.

*Panchadashi, Ch 9, DhyAna DIpa, Verse  45*

*       << **आगामिप्रतिबन्धश्च  **वामदेवे  **समीरितः** ।*

*     एकेन  **जन्मना  **क्षीणो,  **भरतस्य* *त्रिजन्मभिः** ॥  >>*

*       <<  AgAmipratibandhashcha  vAmadeve  samIritaH |*

*             ekena  janmanA  kShINo,  bharatasya trijanmabhiH ||  >>*

*Translation by Swami Rama ;; <<  The future impediment has been well*

* illustrated in the case of Vamadeva. He overcame it in one birth and*

* Bharata in three births  >>*

* It may be relevant to point out here that Swami Vidyaranya mentions in*

* verse 38 that he is citing here certain verses from the Vartika of Swami*

* Sureswaracharya on the nature of pratibandha for rise of jnAna. It is*

* mentioned by Commentators that verses 39 to 45 are from the Vartika.
Hence*

* the validity of what is cited in Panchadashi by Swami Vidyaranya extends
to*

* the Vartika of Swami Sureswaracharya himself. I was able to trace verses
39*

* and 40 to Sambandavartika verses 294 and 295. But I was not able to link*

* the other five verses.*

*My understanding of the gist of the teachings in the above, as relevant to*

* the topic in this thread, is as follows.*

*In some exceptional cases, when all conditions are ripe for the rise of*

* knowledge without any of the pratibandhas, and  the sadhaka hears the*

* mahAvAkya from a Guru, certain prarabdha karma could already have arisen*

* which calls for rebirth to fulfil the same. This is termed AgAmi*

* Pratibandha by Swami Vidyaranya/Swami Sureswaracharya in verse 45 cited
above. Under such*

* circumstances, the prarabdha karma obstructs the rise of jnAna till such*

* time as the prarabdha karma is expiated. On expiation of the prarabdha*

* karma, jnAna automatically rises without any other act, whether sadhana*

* or recollection. It is not due to samskAra. It is jnAna itself. *

*For those knowing tamil, the following talk by Swami Guruparananda on the
above may be useful.*

*<<
https://archive.org/details/PanchadasiChapter09/PD_09_Panchadasi_Chap_IX.mp3
<https://archive.org/details/PanchadasiChapter09/PD_09_Panchadasi_Chap_IX.mp3>