[Advaita-l] Bajanai sambradayam

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at hitachienergy.com
Fri Jul 22 04:05:15 EDT 2022

Humble praNAms Sri Jaldhar Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I don't know what kind of "tradition of Upanishad sages" you have in mind but Advaita Vedanta is quite clear that only a paramahamsa sannyasi can attain jivanmukti.  Just the other week we had a long and detailed thread "Binary nature of jnana" which should clear any confusion about the siddhanta.  Please go through it.  Also on Saturday as part of the Paramahamsa thread, i quoted from Brhadaranyakopanishad on the necessity of sannyasa for moksha.  See that post also.

Aravindji is correct.

>  For jeevanmukti karma tyAga (Ashrama sannyasa where sanyasi formally takes the initiation and leaves yajnOpavita, veda karma etc.) or karma  phala tyAga rUpa sannyasa is must??  If it is former than for Ashrama sannyasa only dvija-s are eligible,  only brAhmaNa-s can take Ashrama sannyasa at one place and at other place both brAhmaNa & kshatriya are eligible to take Ashrama sannyasa says bhAshyakAra  and dvija-s who take sannyasa are eligible for mOksha / Jeevan mukti that means moksha will become AshramAdheena unlike avidyA nivrutti and by this sUdra-s like vidhura, strees like gArgi,  atyaashrami-s like raikva, vAchaknavi, kings-s like janaka are not eligible for mOksha.  Geeta bhAshya categorically insist on the importance of Ashrama sannyasa (karma tyAga) and at various other places also it has been said sannyasa is the most conducive Ashrama for doing the jnana sAdhana but I don't see bhAshyakAra anywhere saying ONLY sanyasi is eligible for mOksha/Jeevan mukti.  Please let me know where should I refer.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar