[Advaita-l] Parmana

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jun 29 03:33:32 EDT 2022

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022, Anand N via Advaita-l wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> When we talk about the 6 Pramanas, where do emotions like love, anger or
> sensations like hunger, thirst etc land?
> Are they in the category of Pratyaksha?
> Are they Aparoksha?
> Can someone please elaborate more on this.

This is an old thread which I didn't have the chance to reply to at the
time.  There is one element which I think should be mentioned but wasn't
in that discussion.  Namely pramana is not just a means of knowledge but a
means of, atleast potentially, knowing truth.  For example usage of
eyesight is pratyaksha but if a person has cataracts they will not be able
to accurately see so their observations are not pramanika.  A person who
mistakes a cow with a gavaya is correctly using pratyaksha but is mistaken
so it is pramanika but incomplete. It requires some other knowledge to be
correct.

So the question is, are emotions capable of generating truth?  I think
most darshans astika and nastika would reply no because emotions are
subjective, turbulent and ill-defined.  On the other hand emotions do
provide some kind of information so they are not meaningless.  But that
meaning cannot be assigned a true or false value so that means they cannot
be pramana without backup from some other pramana.

One possible counterpoint to this might be from kavyashastra.  I have very
basic knowledge of this field but my understanding is that the
theoreticians believe that one who has carefully cultivated the aesthetic
sense (a suhrd) is capable of perceiving in a poem, play, story etc. rasa.
This rasa (there are 9 altogether.) is an emotional state.  Do they
consider rasa to be a pramana?  Someone who has studied more than me
should explain further.

Many philosophers have linked aesthetics to philosophy.  For instance The
famous Kashmiri Shaiva Abhinavagupta is also the author of Abhinavabharati
on Bharat's Natyashastra and Lochana of Anandavardhanas Dhvanyaloka which
is an important kavayashastra.  The North Indian Vaishnavas, Chaitanya,
Vallabhacharya, Nimbarka, etc. also have elevated rasa to the highest
position in their systems particularly the Shrngara or erotic rasa as
applied to Krishna Bhagvan.  But atleast Vallabhacharya who I am the most
familiar with has not as far as I know claimed that rasa is a pramana.