[Advaita-l] Functions of the mind

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jun 30 03:43:21 EDT 2022

On the contrary Shankaracharya says thatvyakarana is "vedanam veda" the Veda of the Vedas because it is only
through proper analysis of speech we can get control over it and transcend it.
Sirji,        Ultimately the Vyakarana/alanakra sastra always gives the control over the mind. As you menioned the Manonasha can be easily achieved by learning the language skills i.e can only be obtained through brahmmavidaya or Rigorous practise of the Vyakarana sasra. My garndfather often used to say if you have control on your tongue you can win the wolrd. However it is Vedanam Veda, absoutely, one has to master over it to get the control & to overcome the Transcendance of Mind (Turmoil/Unambiguity/ what ever you name).
If your learn the language skills, one can increase the subtle mind perception /or concious time there by controlling of mind can be easily achieved & Transcandance can happen automatically without any efforts.

Even though AdvaitaVedanta rejects many of the tenets of Nyaya, the rigorous, logicalapproach is how the mind is controlled and ultimately transcended.
Interesting. Although Nyaya/or tarka can't give the control of  the mind due to the fact that it is based on anbhuti or pramana or visual evidence. As there is no sabda pramana (based on which veda's exsist) .It is subjected to limited people's personal choices & there by causing benfefit to some people  and disgust to the other opponents.
That could be the reason Advaita-Vedanta rejects the tenets of Nyaya/logical approaches using Tarkas.

How ever you can add or elaborate on my views and I will be happy to read them.
Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu
Kameswara    On Wednesday, 29 June, 2022, 01:51:53 pm GMT+5:45, <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

 On Fri, 17 Jun 2022, KAMESWARARAO MULA wrote:

>                                  Indeed nice & actually I was trying to
> recollect the same to reply Harsha's query, but coudn't find the words. This
> was the exact reference for the Function of the mind

Thanks for the kind words sir.  One more thing which also ties into a
current series of posts in this list is that in order to acheive this
manonasha one must first understand and control the mind and its workings.

The Mohamudgara or Bhaja Govindam stotra has the refrain na hi na hi
rakshati dukrnkarane.  "You will not be protected by dukrnkarane."  This
is from Panini's dhatupatha so some foolish people think it means you
don't need to study vyakarana or other shastras or even that such study
will take you backwards on the Vedantic path.  Such people are not
"spiritual" merely illiterate.  On the contrary Shankaracharya says that
vyakarana is "vedanam veda" the Veda of the Vedas because it is only
through proper analysis of speech we can get control over it and transcend
it.  Similarly traditionally one would not even begin to look at prasthana
trayi bhashyas without some study of tarkashastra.  Even though Advaita