[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 06:32:36 EDT 2022

Sri Vinodh, pranam.
Thanks for the fine, well stated manana. It is also proper Sankara bhasya
Vedanta (as opposed to the Vedanta, pos, -Sankara). Simply, if it is
understood that adhyasa is the problem which is caused by non-recognition
of Self, conundrums such as locus become moot. But, if adhyasa is thought
to have some actual existential status then all sorts of explanations are
required and we get the post-Sankara logicans.

The problem, highlighted by Hacker's study, narrows down to waking as a
relatively real state, highlighted by the Dalal article, or waking as
adhyasa. The difference between pot/clay drstanta and rope/snake. The
former give pot a dependent status but not unreal. There is no snake in
rope/snake drstanta. These are among the arguments convincingly made by Sri
Swami Satchidanandendraji/SSS.

It seems to me you have reasoned yourself in line with SSS

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 1:08 AM Vinodh via Advaita-l <