[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:40:26 EDT 2022

Please excuse formatting. I am having trouble responding to Advaita-l
emails and had to resort to cut and paste.

Dear Sri Chadramouli, Namaste.

   1. It seems to me, SSS was neither contradicting Sankara nor
   compromising his own position. Context is all important as Sankara does use
   terms with nuanced difference and then interchangeably at other times (my
   earlier Hacker link may provide example). In your citation, SSS is saying
   avidya causes samsara and from that arises maya which accounts for
   materiality - avidya is the cause of maya! I don't see the difficulty.

 H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.comHide
To Michael Chandra Cohen michaelchandra108 at gmail.com

Pranams Sri Cohen,

Please feel free to use sir in place of sri if you feel more natural and
comfortable with it. Better still, drop both of them altogether and be
really natural. No issues.

As I mentioned earlier, I haPlove oriented my understanding  of the Advaita
Sidhanta based on mUlAvidyA because that is what is advanced by Sri
Bhagavatpada. There is no better way to explain my position to you than to
start with Sri SSS himself.

I am citing from the Introduction by Sri SSS in his text on KathOpanishad,
page vi, in kannada under the title “what is avidyA”, which I have
translated to English here

Quote  << Although the AchArya has indeed used at some places the terms
avidyA and mAyA as synonymous terms, since apart from deliberating  that
avidyA is mithyAjnAna which is destroyed by vidyA (AdhyAsa BhAshya) and
that mayA is the seedform of nAmarUpa imagined through avidyA
(avidyAkalpita) (BSB 2-1-14) ;  again further in a sUtra bhAshya initiated
for deliberating upon the meaning of the term **avyakta **, two versions
are separately presented ;; on the one hand taking the stand that **avyakta
is mAyA ** and on the other hand  ** avyakta is avidyA ** (BSB 1-4-3),-- it
becomes clear that in shAnkara prasthAna avidyA belongs to the realm of
knowledge (jnAnakOti) while mAyA belongs to the realm of objects
(jnEyakOti). Hence ** avidyA is the seed for samsAra ** needs to be
 understood as cause for samsAra while ** avyakta is the seed for jagat **
needs to be understood as avyakta being the upAdAna kAraNa >>. Unquote

Sri SSS has presented the issue as one of self-contradiction in the bhAshya
which he has preferred to resolve by accepting an interpretational view of
the BhAshya (his own interpretation) rather than the direct view (avidyA
and mAyA are synonymous terms) stated in the BhAshya. This is in
contravention of the generally accepted rule which calls for accepting the
direct statements and interpreting others in line with this. Indeed that is
what the other commentators have adopted. Once this is done, there is no
selfcontradiction either in the BhAshya.

In this context (jnAnakOti and jnEyakOti), I am tempted to link it to one
of your observations in the thread in the Forum.

<<  *Something from nothing is good epistemology, bad ontology. avidya is an
epistemological error upon an ontological reality. An epistemological
agrahana commonly produces an effect - not knowing the train's schedule;
forgetting the wife's birthday. Name and form is all that accounts for what
we call jagat.    * >>

My understanding is that by epistemology you are referring to **jnAnakOti**
while ontology refers to **jnEyakOti**. As broughtout above, avidyA or
mUlAvidyA includes both epistemology (jnAna) and ontology (jnEya). I am not
elaborating as it is selfexplanatory.

I will limit myself to just this one reason for my leaning towards
mUlAvidyA in this note. In my understanding, Sri SSS has been obliged to
make compromises at so many points in the BhAshya just to sustain this one
fundamental postulate of his which I think is contradictory to the bhAshya
itself. As brought out above, he even has to present the bhAshya itself as
selfcontradictory just to sustain this one postulate of his.

I leave it at this for the present. You may like to consider.
Pranams and Regards

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 9:00 PM Michael Chandra Cohen <