[Advaita-l] ​Re: [advaitin] A talk on avidyA by Manjushree

Jaishankar Narayanan jai1971 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 21:24:25 EST 2022

Dear Michael ji,

She has again not understood traditional advaita teachings or
misinterpreting them. No one argues that mūlāvidyā exists as long as the
world is perceptible, In fact the world does not exist (apart from brahman
as a separate reality ) even though it is perceptible.  mūlāvidyā  is
completely destroyed for jnaani / jivanmukta with baadhita anuvritti of
praarabdha karma accounting for the vyavahaara of the jeevnmukta as a
sampradaayavit, shrotriya, brahmanishta Guru. The baadhita anuvritti of
praarabdha which is accepted by Bhashyakara in Br. Up 1.4.7 or BSBh 4.1.15
is called as avidya-lesha by some vyākhyānakāras which is not the same as
mūlāvidyā.

The videhamukti will anyway come as it may happen at the end of the present
body or even another body may be taken up by the jnaani as mentioned in
BrSu 3.3.32  यावदधिकारमवस्थितिराधिकारिकाणाम् ॥
The jeevanmukti is what is sought after and that is denied by SSS
interpretation of Bhashya and Sruti.

Her statement "for the vyākhyānakāra-s, the “apavāda” occurs only in
videhamukti" is also not proper understanding of traditional vedanta.
The apavāda
is here and now and the teaching is 'You are Brahman' and not 'You will
become Brahman'.

with love and prayers,
Jaishankar

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 8:29 PM Michael Chandra Cohen via Advaita-l <