[Advaita-l] adhikara for jivanamukti

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 08:29:37 EDT 2022

Namaste.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2022, Bhaskar YR wrote

<<  I don't see bhAshyakAra anywhere saying ONLY sanyasi is eligible for
mOksha/Jeevan mukti.  Please let me know where should I refer  >>,

I did not respond earlier as I waited to see what references  Sri Jaldhar
Ji would furnish. I am  citing below some references in this context. I am
really not entering into any discussions on this issue as this has already
been discussed quite a few times, possibly with the same participants. But
I am not sure if the following references were cited earlier.

Aitareya Up  Introduction

<<  अविदुषापि मुमुक्षुणा पारिव्राज्यं कर्तव्यमेव ; तथा च ‘शान्तो दान्तः’ (बृ.
उ. ४ । ४ । २३)
<https://advaitasharada.sringeri.net/display/bhashya/Brha?page=4&id=BR_C04_S04_V23&hl=%E0%A4%B6%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A4%E0%A5%8B%20%E0%A4%A6%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%83>
 इत्यादिवचनं प्रमाणम् । शमदमादीनां चात्मदर्शनसाधनानामन्याश्रमेष्वनुपपत्तेः ।

<<   aviduShApi mumukShuNA pArivrAjyaM kartavyameva ; tathA cha ‘shAnto
dAntaH’ (bRRi. u. 4 | 4 | 23) ityAdivachanaM pramANam | shamadamAdInAM
chAtmadarshanasAdhanAnAmanyAshrameShvanupapatteH | >>

Translation (Swami Gambhirananda)  <<  And monasticism is obligatory even
for the unillumined soul that hankers after emancipation. With regards to
this matter, the sentence  ** Therefore he who knows thus becomes
self-controlled, calm etc (BU 4-4-23) can be cited as authoritative.
Beside, such means  for the Realization of the Self  as physical and mental
control etc are incompatible with other stages of life >>.

Mundaka Up Introduction

<<  न हि ब्रह्मात्मैकत्वदर्शनेन सह कर्म स्वप्नेऽपि सम्पादयितुं शक्यम् ;
विद्यायाः कालविशेषाभावादनियतनिमित्तत्वाच्च कालसङ्कोचानुपपत्तेः । यत्तु
गृहस्थेषु ब्रह्मविद्यासम्प्रदायकर्तृत्वादि लिङ्गं न तत्स्थितं न्यायं
बाधितुमुत्सहते ; न हि विधिशतेनापि तमःप्रकाशयोरेकत्र सद्भावः शक्यते कर्तुम् ,
किमुत लिङ्गैः केवलैरिति । >>

<<  na hi brahmAtmaikatvadarshanena saha karma svapne.api sampAdayituM
shakyam ; vidyAyAH kAlavisheShAbhAvAdaniyatanimittatvAchcha
kAlasa~NkochAnupapatteH | yattu gRRihastheShu
brahmavidyAsampradAyakartRRitvAdi li~NgaM na tatsthitaM nyAyaM
bAdhitumutsahate ; na hi vidhishatenApi tamaHprakAshayorekatra sadbhAvaH
shakyate kartum , kimuta li~NgaiH kevalairiti |  >>

There could be many more. I have presented only a few.

Bhaskar Ji may like to refer these portions of the Bhashya and decide for
himself if these are adequate .
Regards

[image: width=]
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 11:18 AM Jaldhar H. Vyas via Advaita-l <