[Advaita-l] adhikara for jivanamukti

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Sep 23 02:58:26 EDT 2022

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022, Ven Balakrishnan via Advaita-l wrote:

> Sorry my language wasn’t clear.  When I wrote:
>
> "Krishna in 3.22-3.23 is referring to one who works for the benefit of
> the world, not himself”
>
> . . .  I meant one who works for the benefit of the world, and not for
> his own benefit.

Oh yes that makes sense.

In fact the next shloka explicitly says this.

saktAH karmaNyavidvAMso yathA kurvanti bhArata |
kuryAdvidvAMstathA.asaktashchikIrShulokasa~Ngraham || 25 ||

"BhArata[1], as the ignorant act from an addiction to karma, so the wise
man[2] should act, but without attachment, for the benefit of the world."

[1] Arjuna
[2] the knower of Atman.

In all appearance, the actions of the vidvan do not seem to be different
from the actions of an ignorant person.  The difference is in intent.  The
ignorant people are obsessed with karma out of desire to gratify their
egos.  The wise only do the minimum that needs to be done and only for the
benefit of society and the world not for personal gain.