[Advaita-l] Duality of truth and anirvacanIya khyAti/sadasadvilakSaNa

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 00:18:15 EDT 2024

Namaste,

//Isn't the position  "only P and there is no  ^p and it is just
a convention" an assumption?  Using this assumption proving non-duality
is indeed begging a question.//

No. That there is no ~p but only P, is arrived at by logic. ~p is seen and
is hence illusion, on account of being seen, like an illusory snake. Once
mithyA, it has traikAlika-nishedha-pratiyogitA. And hence, ~p does not
exist.

The very assertion of ~p as seen implies a seer. This seer cannot be
negated. However, its seerhood is subject to negation. The seer without
seerhood, which is ~(~p) is P.

Even though its content is not true,  the imagination itself is true and
> conceived by him in a specific given dEsha-kAla. At the end we left with P
> (George Lucas) and his true imagination (^p). This is not a good example as
> it allows duality of kartu-karama, which Shankara ill-offered to admit in
> Brahman.

The discussion as to who is Like Skywalker's father is being done by the
imagio characters. So, the example will hold.

However, best example is dream-2 within a dream-1. It appears that
dreamer-1 had dreamt some dream-2. But that was the imagination of
dreamer-1. Neither the dream-2 was real nor was his imagination real as his
imagination was also part of dream (dream-1).

Please note -- that there is a mithyA-imagination and a true
seer-of-imagination is stated while being in the frame of reference of
imagination only. From the frame of reference of the so-called imaginor,
there is no imagination and there is no possibility of imagination either.
So, there is only p.

This crucial concept is illustrated as follows:-

अविद्यास्तीत्यविद्यायामेवासित्वा प्रकल्प्यते ।
ब्रह्मदृष्ट्या त्वविद्येयं न कथञ्चन युज्यते इति ॥ ३६ ॥

Regards.
Sudhanshu Shekhar.