[Advaita-l] what is the technical definition of Drik in Advaita?

Vikram Jagannathan vikkyjagan at gmail.com
Fri May 31 18:22:03 EDT 2024

Namaskaram!

Vedanta Paribhasha too refers to a two-fold aspect of perception - due to
jiva-sakshi and Ishvara-sakshi - with their corresponding upadhi of
individualized antahkarana and collective Maya.

The difference whether the sakshi is avidya upahita Chaitanya or pure
Chaitanya is a perspective of vyavaharika versus paramarthika standpoint.
There can be no other entity other than Chaitanya who can be a sakshi, as
Chaitanya alone is, well, chaitanya and anything else mentioned is only
jada. This is the avidya-upahita-chaitanya or even jada-upahita-chaitanya
for the Chaitanya to witness the jada. At the same time, Chaitanya being
one and non-dual doesn't have any internal or external distinction for It
to witness. Hence this sakshi Chaitanya is indeed the pure Chaitanya Itself
with no iota of difference between them.

In this sense, the sakshi is verily Brahman and not different (sakshi
brahmaiva naparah).

prostrations,
Vikram

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 12:38 PM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <