Grandfathers and sannyaasa

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Wed Nov 20 12:05:01 CST 1996

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Charles A. Hillig wrote:

> Isn't it possible to be 100% involved and  fully participatory in his
> family's life,
>              and yet to remain 100% detached from the dramas that unfold in
 it?

Yes, but that is not the point of the story. The key thing to be noted is
the grandfather's answer, "I am never going to leave you." This indicates
attachment on the grandfather's part. So long as there is no detachment
from all ties, including near family, there is no point in taking to the
sannyasa-asrama as a matter of ritual.

Vidyasankar