Essay on creation and evolution

Thu Jul 4 03:14:26 CDT 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Shrinivas Gadkari wrote:

> Namaste,
>
> Have uploaded an essay on creation and evolution at
> http://www.geocities.com/sgadkari2001/Interview-Hiranyagarbha.htm
>
> A mixture of philosophy, science and fiction.
>
> Best regards
> Shrinivas

Sorry I was on the road and I'm just making a quick stop at home before
going again so I haven't had much time to read the list.  But I had a
chance to read your essay, it's a very nice and novel approach.

On the founder of the Yoga darshan.  I believe it is correct to say that
Maharshi Kapila is the founder of both.  The Vyasabhashya on Y.S. 1.25
includes a quote from the lost work of the Samkhya/Yoga teacher
Panchashikha:

AdividvAn nirmANacittamadhiShTAya kAruNyAdbhagavAn paramarShirAsuraye
jijnAsamAnAya tantram provAca iti |

"The first enlightened one entering into a self-created mind out of
compassion, the revered Supreme Sage [Kapila] taught the tantra
[yogashastra] to the enquiry-minded Asuri."

Asuri was the Guru of Panchashikha.  Hiranyagarbha is another name for
Brahmaji.  Some Yogic works say Kapila was the avatara of Hiranyagarbha.
The Puranas say he is the mindborn son (manasaputra) of Brahma, The
Yogasutras are ascribed to Patanjali who is traditionally said to be the
same as the author of the Mahabhashya on Paninis Vyakarana.  So he would
be much later than these three sages.  (In general the sutras represent a
summary of much development in a particular darshana not its' foundation.)
And Vyasa who wrote the bhashya on the Yogasutras cannot be the same as
Vedavyasa the author of the Puranas.

Some historians think Samkhya is older than Yoga because of these kinds of
quotes.  But really they should be seen as two halfs--theory and
practice--of the same darshan.

Also the name Hiranyagarbha has significance.  It literally means
"golden womb."  In a womb a sudden "creation" is preceded by a
longer period of development.  What was one becomes two.  Which is a vivid
metaphor for what you are trying to describe don't you think?