Upadesha sahasri(cont)

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 17 21:02:29 CST 2002

Hari Om !!

--- ken knight <hilken_98 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Namaste All,
> Thank you to those who have entered into a
> discussion
> on the prose section of Upadesha Sahasri.

Please read the following paragraph:

"34.     The teacher should say to him, ‘It was not right
hr you to say, ‘I directly perceive the pain in me
when my body gets cuts or burns.’ Why? Because the
pain due to cuts or burns, perceived in the body, the
object of the perception of the perceiver like a tree
burnt or cut, must have the same location as the bums
etc. People point out pain caused by burns and the
like to be in that place where they occur but not in
the perceiver. How? For, on being asked where one’s
pain lies, one says, ‘I have pain in the head, in the
chest or in the stomach.’ Thus one points out pain in
that place where burns or cuts occur, but never in the
perceiver. If pain or its causes viz, burns or cuts,
were in the perceiver, then one would have pointed out
the perceiver to be the seat of the pain, like the
parts of the body, the seats of the burns or cuts."

Let us analyse the statement in the paragraph there-in:

"People point out pain caused by burns and the
like to be in that place where they occur but not in
the perceiver. How? "

Of course, Bhagavan is saying that the pain is not in the Self, it is a
Vritti in the intellect.

My question is : Even if we wish to point out the "perceiver" as the seat
of pain, we do not know where to point out. Is this not the simple reason
we point to the physical body where the cuts or burns occur ?

How can I point out to the intellect where the Critti is. Also, before
Vedanta, I did not even know the ideas of Vritti.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna