Vishnu and Shiva

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 11 19:00:51 CST 2003

Namaskaaram,

>So you have no objection.

I DO have objection reading it as rudra gaining strength from himself.

>By the same token, the Veda should also not waste words by repitition,
>since there is no need to know something already known. But the Veda
>repeatedly points out that Brahman ought to be known.

Let it point out. But by no means that is obvious. And also you did not
address the other objection raised by me.

>So we now know that VishhNu is not Brahman, for it is from VishhNu that
>Rudra gains his strength, and nothing gains anything from Brahman :-)

I think you have just made this statement to inject a sense of humour.
Nowhere is it stated in the sruti that Vishnu gains his power from Rudra.
The other objection that there is no gaining or losing of anything for
Brahman has not even been addressed.

>We can discuss academically, but most of my other objections have not been
>answered to from the previous post, and since circular arguments are
>tiring, I will now sign off.

All objections have been answered. The svetasvatara indicates similarity of
rudra with praajna and not turiya. This is not a circular statement.

If the rudra in Sv U is indeed rudra of RV, then it is a contradiction as
the rudra of RV *derives* his power from Vishnu. Also it is devi that is the
source of rudra's power. This is not a circular statement.

There is a new argument that I advance here. Immediately after the rudra
verses, the Sv U also says  -

Higher than this is Brahman, the supreme, the infinite,....

The *this* should rudra only especially if it is the rudra of the rigveda.
There is something higher than this rudra. This interpretation can also
prevents contradiction between RV and SvU. Thus the inner Self and other
words apply to Brahman only and to none else. This is not a circular
statement.

>but most of my other objections have not been
>answered to from the previous post, and since circular arguments are
>tiring, I will now sign off.

Good, if you find that all arguments are circular, then you are free to
refrain from replying. I never insist on a reply. Anyway, thank you for
taking your time off.

Best Regards
Kalyan

>From: Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan <kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU>
>To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
>Subject: Re: Vishnu and Shiva
>Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:26:52 -0600
>
>On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, kalyan chakravarthy wrote:
>
>[..]
>
> > >Firstly, there is no contradiction in saying that
> > >rudra gained his strength from himself.
> >
> > 1.Such a conclusion being obvious would waste the scriptural statement.
> > There is no need to look at the scriptures to know the obvious.
>
>So you have no objection.
>
>By the same token, the Veda should also not waste words by repitition,
>since there is no need to know something already known. But the Veda
>repeatedly points out that Brahman ought to be known.
>
> > 2.There is no gaining or losing of anything for brahman.
> >

>So we now know that VishhNu is not Brahman, for it is from VishhNu that
>Rudra gains his strength, and nothing gains anything from Brahman :-)
>
>We can discuss academically, but most of my other objections have not been
>answered to from the previous post, and since circular arguments are
>tiring, I will now sign off.
>
>-Kartik

Cricket World Cup 2003- News, Views and Match Reports.
http://server1.msn.co.in/msnspecials/worldcup03/