Dasa Avatars(In response to Shri B. Shankar)

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu May 1 08:25:55 CDT 2003

namaste,

> *Without rejecting the vedas*??????? There are online English and Sanskrit
> versions of vedas available. Please read them. You will find tons and tons
> of *avidya*.

I have read translations of a few parts of the vedas. At the empirical
level, he does accept the vedas (of which the upanishads are a part, as Sri
Anand pointed out) as a pramana. And he does quote from the non-upanishad
part of the vedas also. I do agree that the vedas would fall in the realm of
maya from the highest state of turya, but that doesn't mean that
Sankaracharya has rejected them (he has done so only at the level of turya).
For that matter, the philosophy of advaita doesn't exist in the highest
state of turya, so I presume it is also in the realm of avidya only,
especially since it is extracted from the vedas. Has Sankaracharya rejected
it?

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam