[Advaita-l] Re: More on Paurusha

Viswanathan N vishy1962 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 22:58:08 CST 2006

Pranams Raviji

  Thanks a lot for your mail. You are very much right, unless you catch the point
  on shravana nothing is going to be achieved by nidhiyasana. But still it would remain only as thoratical knoledge. However to stabilise on what you have understood and to experience that /  for  getting dissolved  in  it(contemplation/ meditation) is essential. Isnt't it!!! .

  Pranams
  Vish

Ravi Mayavaram <abhayambika at gmail.com> wrote:
  Viswanathan N writes:

> Pranams Vidyashankarji
>
> Thanks a lot for such a clear and detailed explanations.
>
> Can I summarise this way....
>
> Mere reading scriptures wont lead to jnana unless you contemplate on what
you learnt and experience it
> personally.

namaste

brahman has no relational content and hence, it can not be realized through
contemplation. Nor it can be a product of meditation. sureshvara brings about
this point while dealing with prasankhyAyana.

The traditional approach of shravaNa, manana, and nididhyAsana - is different.
There is scope for repetition in shravaNa to overcome defects in hearing. manana
is the process of resolving the doubts regarding to pramANa and prameya, etc.
But nididhyAsana is not repetition of reasoning or the verbal testimony. It is
more of removing the defect of viparyaya or incorrect understanding. sureshvara
addresses these issues in chapter 3 of naiShkarmyasiddhi.

If I am not mistaken aparoxa j~nAna should arise immediately after shravaNa (and
manana). Connecting with what Kartik is posting, nididhyAsana is more for
vasana xaya and not for bringing about aparoxa jnAna. If aparaoxa jnAna does not
arise immediately after shravaNa, then it will not arise by repeating what was
heard or its reasoning a million times . (This paragraph is my understanding,
hence it could be wrong).

Corrections and additions are welcome.

Ravi

For assistance, contact: