[Advaita-l] mithyA from archives

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:43:44 CST 2007

namaskAraH,

On 28/11/2007, kuntimaddi sadananda <kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You are seeking answers about the fundamental truth
> through pratyaksha and anumaana, when you turn to
> science to establish the mithyaatvam of the universe.
>
> Jagat is mitya only from the point of satya.
>
> Science can never validate or invalidate the absolute
> truth of the universe.  Vedanta alone is pramaaNa.

Sir, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I am not trying to
discount Sruti pramANa. The utility of the Sruti is a vast topic in
its own right and is not something I want to get into at the moment.
Nevertheless, we must note the following key features of vedAnta:

1. It proclaims jIvanmukti
2. It holds mukti to be the realization of one's true svarUpa

Any statement regarding the utility of the Sruti pramANa must take the
above into account. To put it crudely, the Sruti pramANa is "valid
because it works".

On avasthAtraya, there are certain issues with it that I find
confusing. So all I wanted was to see if the same point could be
explained through some other analysis. After all, the Sruti teaches
the same thing through innumerable prakriyA-s.

> Any way, let me know if you find the answer to your
> inquiry.

Sure, I will

dhanyavAdaH
Ramesh