[Advaita-l] Real vs. Unreal

Nithin Sridhar sridhar.nithin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 06:23:41 CST 2013

The Jnani's do not perceive World as separate than Brahman. They perceive
Brahman itself in all objects. Isha Up says "Yastu sarva bhutani atmanyeva
anupashyati". A Jnani perceives all objects as his very Self and his Self
in all objects.

About the example of Shivering, you are stretching the example beyond its
scope. The example only meant, even after the perception of snake is
removed by perception of rope, the shivering lingers. Similarly, even after
removal of Avidya and attainment of Jnana, a trace of Avidya-Avidya Lesha
in the form of Prarabda Karma remains.So, the example is only meant to
point out through anecdote the lingering of trace of Avidya. Whether
sustratum mind is destroyed or not is not issue. Even if it is considered
an issue, even then, Brahman who is substratum of whole Jagat exist.

 This has been stated clearly even by Badarayana who says, the dawn of
Jnana leads to destruction of past and future karmas but the Prarabda
remains.

-Nithin