[Advaita-l] THESE ARE MY QUESTIONS TO DVAITA PHILOSOPHY OF MADHVACHARYA..

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Feb 12 01:35:01 CST 2015

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015, Srivathsa Rao via Advaita-l wrote:

> I have a question about madwa philosophy

Then you should ask on some Madhva forum.  This is a list for Advaita
Vedanta.

n Tue, 10 Feb 2015, Gopal wrote:

>> All the three acharyas from the south and  a few more from the north like
> Sri Vallabhacharya, Chaitanya mahapurush had served sanathana dharma in
> no simple terms.

Just a small correction; Vallabhacharya lived in the North but he was from
Andhra Pradesh.  But your large point stands and is worthy of
contemplation by all.

My view is that it can be useful to study principled objections to Advaita
Vedanta in order to deepen our own understanding.  And where the
objections are based on willful or accidental misunderstanding of Advaita
Vedanta, people like Shri Subrahmanian are doing a yeoman service by
refuting them.  (Incidently, I think he is right to name the blogs where
this kind of thing is going on so we can know to avoid them.)

We do not have to give the time of day to scurrilous slander from any
quarter.  Neither should we stoop to that level.  If I see anymore of that
here there will be bans.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Venkata sriram P via Advaita-l wrote:

> We people fight like this whereas christians & muslims laugh
> at this fight who are taking advantage.

There are good reasons to avoid such bickering but this is not one of
them.

> My Christian colleague who follows this forum silently
> in home makes fun of we people who fight on petty issues
> regarding which God (shiva / vishnu) is great !!

Ask him what Evangelicals think of the Pope or what Catholics think of
Protestants.  Ask him why there almost a thousand different Christian
sects in the USA alone all with different interpretations of the Bible.

> Does anybody has the guts to stand before Zakir Naik
> and challenge that our hinduism is the source of all
> religions.  This guy challenges us and says that
> "Allah is the only god and Islam is the only religion

Then ask him why the Pakistani Nobel Physics laureate M. Abdus Salam, the
only Muslim to achieve that feat, had the word Muslim erased from his
tombstone.  (He was an Ahmaddiya who Sunnis and Shi'ites consider
heretical.)  Ask why Sunnis and Shi'ites are massacring each other across
the Middle East.

It is due to a lack of familiarity with other religions that we think we
are the only ones prone to sectarianism.  In fact our type is pretty mild.

Different darshans and sampradayas have always engaged in polemics against
each other.  To stop now because we keep looking over our shoulders at
what other people ar doing is to give outside unwarranted power over us.
No all we need to do is make sure when we debate we are doing it with
satyartha and not vitanda.