[Advaita-l] A question on Chaandogya III.14.1

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 02:36:16 CST 2016

Namaste Chandramouliji,

Thanks for that useful note on पाठभेद। I am assuming that Shri-SSS meant
आर्ष when he says छान्दस about तदन् since it is a word in the Bhashya and
not in the Shruti itself or he was commenting on the Veda word तज्जलान्।
However, AFAIK, तदन् is a perfectly legal construct as per Paninian
grammar, the same way that तज्जलान् is, since क्विप् can be added to any
धातु in कर्तरि sense. As pointed out earlier, I think both तज्जलान् and
तज्जलान bring out exactly the same कर्तरि व्युत्पत्ति albeit through
different प्रत्ययs. Moreover, Vachaspatya includes the word as तज्जलान्
only. I think Bhashyakara, as is his style, paraphrases the same through
विग्रहवाक्यs that point to another word तज्जलान in BSB, which has the same
meaning.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */