[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:20:54 EDT 2018

A while back, we had this discussion and it seems I had some wrong
information which I shared with the list and would like to correct it now.
When I wrote the stuff below, I had seen a few shukla-yajur-veda
recitations (kANva shAkhA in the South) and did not see any hand gestures.
However, in the video below they do have hand gestures. Now, I am not sure
if some people omit it. Anyone in the know, please comment. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBQRBaE9Fg

So it seems hand gestures are forbidden in the kR^iShNa yajur and R^ig
vedas.

Rama