[Advaita-l] Interesting verse from khaNDana khaNDa khAdya

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 05:21:49 EDT 2018

In Sri Harsha's magnum opus, khaNDana khaNDa khAdya, there is an
interesting verse that sums up the attitude of the mumukshu.

बाधेऽदृढेऽन्यसाम्यात् किं दृढे तदपि बाध्यताम् |
क्व ममत्वं मुमुक्षूणामनिर्वचनवादिनाम् ।।
If one is certain that the world will be sublated as it is mithyA, one need
not look for examples to prove it. If one is not certain it will be
sublated, no examples will suffice, because one will doubt the sublation of
those examples.

Similarly, if one is certain that the world is real, the mithyAtva of the
world is itself sublated, so one does not have to look for examples to
prove it. If one is not certain of the world's mithyAtva, no example will
help you.

What difference does it make for us mumukshus, who are ready to give up the
world citing its ultimate indescribability? We have no interest in saving
anything in the world, including our arguments for the world's mithyAtva.
It makes not one jot of difference to us if our arguments are disproven,
for we have no sense of attachment to them.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan