[Advaita-l] a mumukshu and a deluded at pralaya

Gopal gopal.gopinath at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 12:53:46 EDT 2018

Namaste to all:

I  am presenting here a  doubt put to me by an young man. He sounded really
serious and the question was genuine. I could not answer that and so I am
presenting it here paraphrasing the conversation as  first person singular
for ease of communication:

"All around me there is a breakdown of traditions and fundamental
structures so far upheld by the self-less actions of dharmic persons. It
appears that dharma is getting leached and slowly eroding like the rocks on
a turbulent beach. The rules of the society are breaking down with
consequences Shri Krishna warned in Bhagavat Gita. Finding a true sadhaka
is becoming rare, rarer is a brahmana who follows his varna dharma. Abuse
of technology has become  a cancer invading even the sacred garbagruha of a
temple or a distracted kartha on a phone call during shraddha.

It is only natural to expect this situation to spiral down towards until
pralaya.  We have not yet seen even a scratch of the dark times of adharma
to come. If so, my doubt is, what happens to the jivas who are not evolved
enough to attain mukti before pralaya or at pralaya?  If everything is
going to be dissolved and returned to elemental principles, then carrying
on the lives in the poison of vishayanubhava is fine enough? What is the
incentive for someone to follow any niyama anustana and tapas when actually
there is no punishment for such a pointless living? Whether I make it to
the finish line to become liberated after toiling for many lives, or keep
running with my failure already obvious, then why toil at all? What does
Vedanta proscribe as the fate of those jivas ( I guess majority ) who are
immersed in ignorant ways of lives drowned in sensory pleasure and
delusion? If both a jnani and  a deluded  both are going to see their
accounts settled off, debts wiped off and book cleared, why would the
ignorant, deluded jiva even try to get on to sadhana? What does vedanta
says about such a mindset?  Any illuminating thoughts on this doubt  would
be appreciated."

thanks

..gopal gopinath