[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Apr 2 04:15:28 EDT 2019

praNAms Sri Chandramouli prabhuji
Hare Krishna

A small difference in my understanding. Prarabdha is different from samskAra/vAsanas.

>  With the same breath can we say prArabdha and avidyA lesha both are different avidyA lesha pertains to saMskAkara / vAsana which comes along with prArabdha??

When a new sharIra is takenup due to prArabdha, it is along with samskAras/vAsanAs. This has been stated elsewhere in the vArtika. I am unable to give exact reference offhand. SharIra lasts as long as dictated by prArabdha. SamskArAs/vAsanAs continue during this period but as modified due to sAdhanAs undertaken in the current birth prior to jnAna.

>  This is very interesting.  Need vArtika quotes.  Is vArtikakAra clarifying here sAdhana-s undertaken prior to jnana in current shareera (vartamAna shareera) could modify the repercussions of vAsana/saMskAra ??  Modification in what sense??  Could you please elaborate this with proper reference please.

But they can be overcome through sAdhanAs post jnAna also. This is what is undertaken in vidvat sanyAsa post attainment of jnAna. And can lead to jIvanmukti.

>  vidvat sannyasa is not a vidhi that needs to be undertaken to get the mukti.  Karma saMnyAsa happens automatically to the jnAni.  Sri SSS says in Kannada 'ONagida tengina gari biddu hOguvante, jnAniya karma sannyasa svabhAvikavAgi aaguttade.  Edu jnAnige vidhi allave alla.  ( rough translation : like a dried branch of coconut tree falls on its own, karma saMnyAsa happens naturally on its own in the jnAni,  it is (vidvat saMnyAsa) not an injunction to him).  Moreover, as we have discussed earlier a paripUrNa Atmaikatva jnAni is dOsha vinirmukta and krutakrutya, the realization of his svarUpa jnana itself mOksha / mukti as there is no gap between jnana and his mukti.

All the same, even without such specific sAdhanAs or vidvat sanyAsa, the jnAni is assured of escape rom rebirth after the current sharIra is givenup.

>  ataH na kartavya sheshatvena brahmOpadeshO yuktaH, shrutayaH brahmavidhAnantaraM mOkshaM darshayantyaH "madhye kAryAntaraM vArayanti", tasmAt ehaiva brahmaiva san brahmApyeti na shareera pAtOttara kAlaM  clarifies bhAshyakAra because ashareeratvaM is svAbhAvika dharma of Atma.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar