[Advaita-l] Bhaagavata khandanam

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Dec 25 01:13:11 EST 2019

Another old post I didn't respond to at the time...

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019, V Subrahmanian wrote:

> This is not just one article refuting the idea that the Srimadbhagavatam is
> not the 'real' Bhagavatam but the Devi Bhagavatam is the true Bhagavatam
> composed by Veda Vyasa.

Even when Aryasamajist filth give correct information it is for nefarious
purposes.  That Dayananda cared not a whit for the Devi Bhagavata or
Krishna Bhagavata.  He just wants to slander the authority of Puranas in
favor of his fantasy version of Vedas.

> There is a popular opinion that the former is a  much later work,
> attributed to one 'Vopadeva.'

I wouldn't call it popular.  This was a spat between two factions of
Pandits in 17th century Kashi only.  Several Sanskrit pamphlets and
broadsides from the disputants survive and it is interesting to note that
several of the authors in the pro-Krishnabhagavata camp are themselves
Smartas not Vaishnavas.

As you yourself have pointed out there is much Advaitic material in the
(Krishna) Bhagavata itself.  And we also discussed in this list that the
earliest commentators on that work are Advaitins.  Shridhara Swami who is
considered the preeminent interpreter by no less than Chaitanya himself
was Shankaracharya of Puri. He mentions Chitsukhacharya and Punyaranya as
predecessors though their commentaries no longer survive.  Shankaracharya
is said to have quoted from the Bhagavata in a couple of his prakaranas.
Many North Indian Vaishnavas even believe he wrote a commentary.

Vopadeva was a protege of Hemadri acharya author of the influential
dharmashastra nibandha called chaturavarga chintamani (thoroughly Smarta
and Advaitic in ethos) and the minister to the last two Rajas of Devagiri
(modern Daulatabad Maharashtra) before that kingdom was destroyed by
Muslim invaders in the 13th century.  The Devagiri royal family belonged
to Yadava vamsha and considered themselves to be descendents of Krishna
Bhagavan so it natural they would have comissioned works that honored
their ancestor.  Vopadeva wrote Muktaphala which is a collection of
subhashitas from the Bhagavata and Harililamrta which is a concise summary
of the contents of that Purana. Hemadri acharya wrote tikas on both texts.
There is a third work Paramahamsapriya which deals with difficult
grammatical constructions in the Bhagavata.  This is the source of the
theory that Vopadeva wrote the Bhagavata itself but obviously neither work
could have been written unless the Bhagavata was already in existence.

Vopadeva wrote on other shastras too and one grammatical work of his
called Mugdabodha became very popular in Bengal especially because it was
easier than Panini.  Probably as a result his other works became well
known in that area as well.  We know that the origins of the Gaudiyas are
in renagade branch of Dashanami sannyasis of Bengal.  It is possible that
as an Advaitin with great love for Krishna, Vopadevas works may have
inadvertantly fueled that break.  On the other hand we have Swami
Madhusudana Saraswati who was also Bengali, a Krishnabhakta, and
influenced by Vopadeva but remained firmly in the Advaita camp.