[Advaita-l] REFERENCES FROM VARIOUS PURANAS, UPANISHADS, SASTRAS WHERE VISHNU, RAMA, KRISHNA DON BHASMA TRIPUNDRA AND VISHNU IS A PARAMA SHIVA BHAKTA

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 01:50:14 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 3:52 AM Srinath Vedagarbha <svedagarbha at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Shankara has said: स्यात्परमेश्वरस्यापि इच्छावशात् मायामयं रूपं
>> साधकानुग्रहार्थम् । (1.1.vii.20) (Ishwara, out of compassion, takes on, *by
>> His Maya*, a form to grace the spiritual aspirant.)
>>
>> [The context in the BSB is that Brahman is devoid of any form but takes
>> up forms to help the aspirant.  In the Kenopanishad bhashya too Shankara
>> lists several deities Vishnu, Ishvara, Indra, Prana, etc. as upasya as
>> Brahman]
>>

> Do not forget -- NB is both nirAkAra and nirviShEsha -- Brahman is devoid
> of any form but may takes up forms, but he cannot have any guNa of "out
> of compassion" (sic). Also NB is nIShkriya  so as you to speak "to grace"
> etc.

In Advaita when it is admitted that NB will take a form out of mAyA, the
various attributes too come along with the form. It is not just for showing
the form, it is taken.

>> Thus, upasana, anugraha, etc. in the realm of vyvaharika is quite valid.
>>

> But such vyavahArika Ishwara is upAsanArtham and not real. Hence he cannot
> possibly have any real action of "to grace the spiritual aspirant".

All this happens just as it when we invoke Vishnu  or any other devata
buddhi in a saligrama or any other image. When such a buddhi is had, the
prayer to that form/devata is valid and the anugraha that comes as a result
is also valid.  'pratimAyAm tu sAnnidhyam archakasya tapobalAt' is an added
pramANa.

> You are mixing vyavahara with paramArtha by saying two terms "Ishwara"
> (which is vyvahAra) with "advaitavAsanA" (which is pAramArthika)

Since you are not aware of the methods of Advaita with regard to devata
rupa and Ishwara pranidhAna you are finding this strange.

vs