[Advaita-l] Fw:

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 07:25:53 EST 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 5:39 PM H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:49 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> << In the vartika shloka there is the word 'anavasthitaa' which means
>>> 'countless'. Anandagiri says व्यवस्थिता तर्हि
>>>
>>> सेत्याशङ्क्याधिकारिबुद्दितारतम्यान्नैवमित्याह ..Since there is no limit
>>> to such prakritya-s, which are to be seen to suit the adhikari, we cannot
>>> say that 'all'  cases are covered in the shruti/bhashya. We have to take
>>> what are stated in the shruti/bhashya as 'upalakshana', indicative of many
>>> many prakriya-s  >>,
>>>

>>> I do not think so. The Tika of Sri Anandagiri Acharya is clear on this.
>>>

>>>    << इहेति श्रौतमार्गोक्तिः । >>
>>>

>>> << iheti shrautamArgoktiH | >>
>>>

>>> The term “ iha “ in the verse means only what are stated in the
>>> shruti/bhashya are accepted. The previous verse of the vArtika  401
>>> specifically mentions this. Not meant to be upalakshaNa. For example
>>> ArambhavAda of nyAya or pariNAmavAda of sAnkhya or BrahmapariNAmavAda of
>>> Bhatruprapancha etc are not admitted.

Of course, we do not admit the prakriya-s that have been refuted by the
ShAnkara Vedanta. Since the shruti and bhashya cannot be exhaustive,
prakriya-s that are designed by Acharya-s to suit the specific needs of
aspirants are also acceptable. We cannot deny the efficacy of a prakriya
just because it is not found in the bhashya. That is what I meant. saa cha
anavasthitaa itself means that ' it is impossible for the shruti and
bhashya to list the infinite prakriyas and therefore what is stated is only
an upalakshana'

regards